Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

What's up with "The Beaver"?

Claudia
    Claudia

Humor : Teddy and Piggywig

What's up with "The Beaver"?  Empty What's up with "The Beaver"?

Post  Claudia Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:33 pm

“The Beaver,” directed by Jodie Foster, stars Gibson as a man who converses with a beaver puppet. No release date was scheduled before recordings of obscenity-laced tirades were made public.

The film isn’t likely to be shown in U.S. theaters anytime soon, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of researcher Hollywood.com’s box-office tracking unit.

“You have to remain in a holding pattern,” Dergarabedian said. “They have some time to think about it. It’s not like they had posters all over town saying, it opens whenever.”

Summit hasn’t made a decision on how it will proceed, said a person with knowledge of the situation. “The Beaver” has been filmed and is getting so-called post-production touches, said the person, who asked not to be named because the matter is private.

Summit executives weren’t available to comment, according to a spokesman. Gibson’s publicist, Alan Nierob, didn’t return messages seeking comment. Foster’s publicist, Jennifer Allen, referred calls to Summit.

Straight to DVD?

Summit may opt to skip theaters and release the movie as a DVD, said Tony Wible, a Philadelphia-based analyst with Janney Montgomery Scott LLC. The move would eliminate marketing expenses for a theatrical release, he said.

“There’s a chance they don’t earn out the advertising dollar,” Wible said. “That’s why some of the less popular films, riskier films, don’t go out to theatrical, and I think that’s the case here.”

Businessweek

And from older articles.

“Jodie is not available at this time,” her rep said. “She is in post on the movie.”

Despite reports that the film had a release date, Foster’s rep said it “was not yet dated before all of the current news.”

E! Online

Many of Gibson’s allies in Hollywood have remained quiet as the controversy has mushroomed.

On Monday, representatives for Jodie Foster, Gibson’s longtime friend and his director and costar in his new movie “The Beaver,” said that she was in post-production and unable to comment.
    Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Claudia on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
    underPressure
    underPressure

Humor : What..what…what difference does it make WHERE you buy underwear? It is underwear where ever you buy it! Charlie Babbitt

What's up with "The Beaver"?  Empty Re: What's up with "The Beaver"?

Post  underPressure Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:52 pm

I just want to see this film.
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:47 am

Me too.
    Eugene
    Eugene
    Admin

Post  Eugene Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:15 am

And me. I'll watch this movie anyway (DVD 102 or theater movie )
    Leslie
    Leslie

Humor : Yes, she's quite funny.

Post  Leslie Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:22 am

I'll probably watch it both ways. First in the theatre, then I'll have to add the DVD to my collection. ANY of you could write this same statement, right jojodjango? friend
    underPressure
    underPressure

Humor : What..what…what difference does it make WHERE you buy underwear? It is underwear where ever you buy it! Charlie Babbitt

Post  underPressure Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Ah, yes…. But you said it, first.

cxf
    Leslie
    Leslie

Humor : Yes, she's quite funny.

Post  Leslie Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:32 pm

My guess is that Jodie will make no comment on Mel's extra curricular activities, and will only talk about The Beaver. I mean, what can she or anyone say to "defend" his latest outbursts? All of this publicity (even though it is bad pub) could work in their favor. The Beaver could be like a traffic accident, where everyone has to see it! fun
    Claudia
    Claudia

Post  Claudia Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm convinced that she won't say anything about Mel and neither will Danny Glover. She did in 2006 but now it's just too "risky" to say anything. Look how Whoopi gets bashed by the media and people now, because she said he is not a racist.

Yes, I totally agree that people want to see the movie now, no matter how crazy Mel is. Especially since he plays a crazy man in it. That's a good example with the traffic accident. sm75

Sure, there are also lot of people who will boycott everything Mel-related from now on or do already since 2006.

I also eagerly want to see "The Beaver" on the big screen or on DVD. I don't care that Mel is in it. I have rarely watched his films anyway.
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Yes, I have to own that DVD when it comes out too!
    underPressure
    underPressure

Post  underPressure Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:34 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/movies/22gibson.html?ex=1295409600&en=a0e032c675a173a4&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=MO-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M159-ROS-0710-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click

Oddly, some American film sales executives appear to take a brighter view of Mr. Gibson’s prospects than their European counterparts, perhaps because he has already been operating outside of conventional studio circles, so has little to fear from banishment. (Summit Entertainment has not decided how or when it will release “The Beaver,” starring Mr. Gibson as a man who walks around with a puppet on his hand and treats it like a living creature. The film, directed by Jodie Foster, is in post production.)

coh
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 pm

*sigh*
    Claudia
    Claudia

Post  Claudia Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:51 pm

No Toronto Film Festival

Absent from the announcement was Jodie Foster’s The Beaver, starring Mel Gibson, which TIFF had been considering for inclusion prior to Gibson’s recent outbursts and public shaming.

Handling declined to confirm or deny whether the film might be included in future announcements.

Toronto Star

The Beaver

Rated PG-13 For mature thematic material, some disturbing content, sexuality and language including a drug reference.

Release Date: TBA 2010

While his off-screen antics have been decidedly R-rated lately, Mel Gibson’s latest movie The Beaver received a PG-13 rating for “mature thematic material, some disturbing content, sexuality and language including a drug reference.” Distributor Summit Entertainment has yet to settle on a release date for the Jodie Foster-directed movie, which features Gibson as a man who treats a beaver puppet like a living creature.
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Well, that's good, I guess. He's not cursing or punching anyone out in an R rated fashion, so people might not feel so threatened then, right? fun

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:31 am