Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali)

underPressure
    underPressure

Humor : What..what…what difference does it make WHERE you buy underwear? It is underwear where ever you buy it! Charlie Babbitt

John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali) Empty John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali)

Post  underPressure Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:12 am

Barry was the composer of the original music for the Jodie Foster, Peter O'Toole film (1983,) "Svengali."
    Take a look at his prolific body of work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/movies/01barry.html?src=twrhp

January 31, 2011
    John Barry Dies at 77; Composed for Bond Films
    By WILLIAM GRIMES

John Barry, whose bold, jazzy scores for “From Russia With Love,” “Goldfinger” and nine other James Bond films put a musical stamp on one of the most successful film franchises of all time, and who won five Academy Awards as a composer for “Born Free,” “Dances With Wolves” and other films, died on Sunday in New York. He was 77.

His death was announced in a statement by family members and reported by The Associated Press. No other details about the cause of death or where he died were provided.

Mr. Barry scored dozens of films, big and small, that called for music to express a wide variety of human emotions and dramatic situations. He composed taut, pulsing, jittery music for the espionage thrillers “The Ipcress File” (1965) and “The Quiller Memorandum” (1966), delivered a sultry sound for the noirish “Body Heat” (1981) and established an offbeat intimacy for “Midnight Cowboy” (1969), with its haunting harmonica theme.

“I like to score the inner feelings of a character — get into their shoes in an imaginative way and take the audience there and enlighten them in a poetic rather than realistic way,” he told The New York Times in 2000.

His throbbing, expansive score for “Born Free” (1966) earned him two Oscars, one for best score and the other for best song.

Although he won Oscars for his work on “The Lion in Winter” (1968), “Out of Africa” (1985) and “Dances With Wolves” (1990), he was known first and foremost as the resident composer for most of the Bond films.

The musical template he established was as much a part of the films as Bond’s double entendres, Q’s gadgetry and Miss Moneypenny’s flirtatious repartee. The films began with a catchy song performed by a pop star, its themes picked up and reprised throughout the movie, most effectively in the tense transitions when Bond moved from one exotic location to the next or prepared to execute a choice bit of spycraft.

His role in composing the most famous Bond music of all, the theme that has been a signature of the films since “Dr. No” (1962), remains unclear. When he took credit for the theme in an interview with The Sunday Times of London in 1997, the original composer hired for the film, Monty Norman, successfully sued the newspaper for libel, asserting that Mr. Barry had only done the orchestration.

After being called in as a kind of musical special agent for “Dr. No” by the film’s producers, Mr. Barry went on to score “From Russia With Love” (1963), “Goldfinger” (1964), “Thunderball” (1965), “You Only Live Twice” (1967), “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” (1969), “Diamonds Are Forever” (1971), “The Man With the Golden Gun” (1974), “Moonraker” (1979), “Octopussy” (1983), “A View to a Kill” (1985) and “The Living Daylights” (1987).

Jonathan Barry Prendergast was born on Nov. 3, 1933, in York, England. His father ran a chain of movie theaters in the north of England, and early on he became entranced by film music. He later credited film composers like Max Stern, Erich Korngold and Bernard Herrmann as important influences, as well as Stan Kenton’s big band.

“I think the genesis of the Bond sound was most certainly that Kentonesque sharp attack,” he told Film Score Monthly in 1996, calling it a brassy wall of sound with notes hitting extreme highs and lows.

He studied piano and took instruction in composition with Francis Jackson, the organist and composer at York Minster. He later played the trumpet with dance bands and, during his military service, with an Army band.

In 1957 he formed the John Barry Seven, a rock ’n’ roll band styled after the popular guitar-based instrumental group the Ventures. His group recorded several instrumental hits as well as “Hit and Miss,” the theme song for the popular television program “Juke Box Jury.”

The band reached its widest audience as the backup group for Adam Faith on the BBC pop show “Drumbeat.” When the singer was cast in the 1959 film “Beat Girl,” released in the United States as “Living for Kicks,” and the Peter Sellers film “Never Let Go,” Mr. Barry came along to write the music.

He quickly found himself in demand at a time when British directors looked to jazz and pop music to create a cool image for their films. He was the composer for “Man in the Middle” (1963), “The Wrong Box” (1966), “The L-Shaped Room” (1962) and “Zulu” (1964).

He inched closer to the center of the British New Wave when he married the actress Jane Birkin in 1965, inspiring Newsweek to call him the man “with the E-type Jag and the E-type wife.”

It was his second marriage. He is survived by his fourth wife, Laurie; four children, Kate, Suzanne, Sian and Jonpatrick; and five grandchildren.

The origins of the James Bond theme are disputed. Mr. Norman said that he brushed off a musical passage from “Bad Sign, Good Sign,” a song he had written for a musical version of the V. S. Naipaul novel “A House for Mr. Biswas.” With a few adjustments, it became the theme to “Dr. No.” The John Barry Orchestra, an expanded version of Mr. Barry’s group, performed the theme, with Vic Flick supplying the twangy, Duane Eddy-style guitar sound.

Mr. Barry testified in court in 2001 that he had entered into a secret agreement with the film’s producers to write the theme for a flat fee, with Mr. Norman, whose authorship claims he called “absolute nonsense,” retaining the credit. He adopted a more circumspect tone after the libel judgment in 2001.

When he was not scoring the Bond films, Mr. Barry composed the music for films like “The Tamarind Seed” (1974), “The Day of the Locust” (1975), “Robin and Marian” (1976), “The Deep” (1977), “The Cotton Club” (1984), “Peggy Sue Got Married” (1986), “Jagged Edge” (1985) and, perhaps least of all, “Howard the Duck” (1986). He also composed the theme for the 1970s television series “The Persuaders,” with Tony Curtis and Roger Moore.

His scores for “Mary, Queen of Scots” (1971) and “Chaplin” (1992) were nominated for Academy Awards.

Mr. Barry decided to quit the Bond game while the going was still good. “I gave up after ‘The Living Daylights’ in 1987,” he told The Sunday Express of London in 2006. “I’d exhausted all my ideas, rung all the changes possible. It was a formula that had run its course. The best had been done as far as I was concerned.”
    John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali) SubBARRY-obit-articleInline
    underPressure
    underPressure

Humor : What..what…what difference does it make WHERE you buy underwear? It is underwear where ever you buy it! Charlie Babbitt

John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali) Empty Re: John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali)

Post  underPressure Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:15 am

Good night, sweet prince…..

"Out of Africa", that twangy guitar part in the "Bond" theme, and the soundtrack for "Body Heat" were so INSPIRED.

underPressure
    underPressure

John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali) Empty Re: John Barry, legendary film composer, dies (Svengali)

Post  underPressure Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 am

One last word; if you have a copy of "Svengali," you can hear several of the melodic motifs he would later develop for the brilliant "Out of Africa" score, as well as "Dances With Wolves." Many of those can be found in the score itself, as well as the songs that were written for Jodie to sing.

"Getting Some Feeling" (as sung by Foster)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MLmvRG4JDs
    (scene from the film, "Svengali")

Both of these were written by John Barry and Don Black

"One Dream at a Time"; also written by Barry and Black, as sung by Foster with O'Toole on the ivories.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrvCv8tTUo&feature=related
    (another clip from the film)

In the essay JF wrote for Esquire magazine in 1982, following the aftermath of the actions of a disturbed individual, who shall remain nameless at this time, she described her feelings and hopes about working on this particular film:

I went back to school in the fall and found everything back to normal. I started making efforts. I dressed better, I returned phone calls, I kept my room dusted and my toys in place. But by the end of the semester I found myself watching movies every night. I was getting restless. "Just school" wasn't enough. As if by a stroke of fate, a script arrived, one I liked. A Manhattan location. Starring Peter O'Toole, A chance to sing. I was ecstatic...and, for the first time in two years, in love with a project. And Svengali proved a thoroughly fun film. It made me fall in love with acting again. It cured me of most of the insecurities; it healed my wounds.

(From "Why Me," written by Jodie Foster, published in Esquire Magazine in December of 1982.)
    found here:
    http://thestarchives.com/jodie/news/jodie-esquire1982.html
    I highly recommend a reading of that article, as well.

The music surely played a great part in that healing, and helped return one of our great American artists to us, obviously more inspired than ever before.

Thank you, John Barry!!!!!!!!!

Post  Artful_Dodger Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Nice tribute, django.

R.I.P. John Barry Sad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:19 pm