Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews

underPressure
    underPressure

Humor : What..what…what difference does it make WHERE you buy underwear? It is underwear where ever you buy it! Charlie Babbitt

Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews Empty Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews

Post  underPressure Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:38 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/abe-schwartz/selling-mel-gibsons-beave_b_643738.html

Abe Schwartzindie filmmaker. copywriter. marketer. LA resident.

Posted: July 13, 2010 04:21 PM
    Marketing Mel Gibson's "The Beaver"

Mel Gibson's recent exploits have been well documented, so there's really no point in repeating any of it. Chances are, you've already formed an opinion about the man, and it's far from positive. Regardless, the man can still be a force of nature in front of the camera, and in light of recent circumstances, his new dark comedy, The Beaver, could be transcendently hilarious and possibly marketable if approached properly. No joke.

Gibson plays a man who decides to communicate only through a beaver puppet on his hand, which to me sounds like a "South Park" fan's wet dream: Part Mr. Garrison, part "Rob Schneider is The Stapler!" Forget everything about Gibson as a human being. The movie's in capable hands with Jodie Foster directing; it could be great. Maybe I'm just twisted, but the idea of Mel Gibson wearing a beaver puppet for 90 minutes is even funnier now than it was a month ago. This is a "Funny or Die" sketch turned into a feature. Why not hit "South Park" and "Funny or Die" fans as hard as possible? Why not advertise on The Onion, SouthParkStudios.com, CollegeHumor.com, TMZ, even on RadarOnline, which broke the recent story with the audio recording.

It'll all come down to building up buzz. So, the public hates Gibson. Does it really matter? We love to discuss things that piss us off; thus, the million or so articles about LeBron James' handling of free agency. Everyone likes to chime in with their own opinion. The Beaver could be the ultimate water cooler conversation. Who's not going to at least want to watch the trailer to this? Let's be honest.

I completely disagree with this Forbes article. http://blogs.forbes.com/bizblog/2010/07/12/mel-gibsons-rants-may-sink-jodie-fosters-new-movie/

Trying to hide the fact that Gibson is the star is just lame inside-the-box thinking. The man is notorious right now! All the more reason why this could be one of the most polarizing comedies ever.

Instead of trying to dust the fact that Gibson is the star under the rug, why not play up the concept of him being a crazy jerk? The movie is called The Beaver, for chrissakes. There are opportunities here, and here are some concepts I'd put into play:

Remember the Forgetting Sarah Marshall wild postings from a couple years back? The ones written in faux Sharpie that were everywhere and said "I Hate You Sarah Marshall," etc. A similar concept could apply to The Beaver and Mel Gibson. I'm imagining billboards, wild posts, and web banners, with copy lines like "Mel Gibson Put His Foot In His Beaver Again," "Mel Gibson Likes Beaver More Than Jews," "Mel Gibson is a Beaver Face," "Mel Gibson = Huge Beaver," "Mel Gibson Sucks Beaver," etc. Maybe I still think like a 14-year old going through puberty, but these would get my attention. If there was ever a movie meant to aggressively appeal to the lowest common denominator, it's Mel Gibson's The Beaver right now. (Say it again to yourself: "Mel Gibson's The Beaver" and try not to at least smirk.)

I'd love to see a sponsored Twitter account, similar to @GaryJBusey (a total spoof), called @MelGibsonsBeaver that tweets absurd nonsense no less than twenty times a day. Comedians are some of the most active and followed people on Twitter. Aziz Ansari's already chimed in on Mel Gibson's recent troubles. If he were to retweet an @MelGibsonsBeaver tweet or two, the account would be more than worth it's while. And of course, @MelGibsonsBeaver could have a Facebook fan page directly linked to the Twitter page...even if this could end up serving as a perfect example of why there should be a Dislike button.

Anyway, people are predicting this movie to be a flop, if it even goes wide at all. If the marketing is timid, it definitely will be one. Mel Gibson's never been more notorious and polarizing. Why not at least be bold and compelling with the outdoor and social media marketing to drive to the trailer?

I would absolutely love to hear any other ridiculous marketing ideas you may have for Mel Gibson's The Beaver. Please leave them in the comments section, and thanks for reading.

Follow Abe Schwartz on Twitter: www.twitter.com/AbeSchwartz
    underPressure
    underPressure

Humor : What..what…what difference does it make WHERE you buy underwear? It is underwear where ever you buy it! Charlie Babbitt

Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews Empty Re: Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews

Post  underPressure Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:00 pm

I couldn't help but agree that some creative marketing could make good use of Mel's situation - and get this movie RELEASED.
    Leslie
    Leslie

Humor : Yes, she's quite funny.

Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews Empty Re: Mel Gibson Likes Beaver Better Than Jews

Post  Leslie Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:23 am

I'm witchu on this. By acknowledging the situation with humor, they can diffuse it to a degree and use Mel's notoriety to their advantage. Jodie must be beside herself, I just want to see the movie... A friend of mine said, "why would Jodie cast Mel Gibson in her movie?" Not that any of his situation is funny, or anybody's business.
    Claudia
    Claudia

Humor : Teddy and Piggywig

Post  Claudia Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:51 pm

A lot of people are/were wondering (on the net) why she cast him.

She gave him a chance and some time after his 2006 antics things started to look better for him again. Of course she would cast him.

No one could have known that this would happen in such a big dimension and all the media coverage with it.
    underPressure
    underPressure

Post  underPressure Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Anytime they've interviewed Jodie or Mel about the other, the two always come across as the best of friends. She was the first person who stood up for him after the DUI debacle, followed by Patrick Swayze. I'm sure she could really care less about all this, except as how it will affect her film, and then possibly not much at all. If people are so judgemental and small minded, she probably wouldn't even want them watching the film???? When has she ever really made a movie (unless it was because of Pat Kingsley's insistence) to be a "movie star", or to perpetuate that status? I think "Flightplan" is the only one that classifies as such a film. (And I Ioved it, so don't read anything into that statement!)

Of course, you have to get a few people into the seats, eating popcorn and a few raisinettes with a cool refreshing beverage to justify a company's investment in a film.

Maybe I'm full of it. I dunno.

crazy

I just feel like all his troubles and obvious hangups, along with his a**hole antics are no one's business. I saw some guy from radaronline.com on the View, trying to justify having made the tapes public. It was nauseating. I guess there must be a place in the great hereafter reserved for people who will NEVER GET RECOGNITION FOR ANYTHING, and must spend eternity in TOTAL ANONYMITY. All paparazzi will be channeled there, after their brief stay in "Humiliation Hades." :ww:
    Claudia
    Claudia

Humor : Teddy and Piggywig

Post  Claudia Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:03 pm

You're absolutely right.

I'm "so sick" of those gossip sites who think they have the right to release private audio tapes, videos, email messages, text messages, divorce papers and other private stuff from the celebs.

When has she ever really made a movie (unless it was because of Pat Kingsley's insistence) to be a "movie star", or to perpetuate that status?
    Exactly! Never really. It's all about the work and the joy making a movie. I'm almost sure Jodie would be the first one who would skip all the "promoting a film" if it was not necessary.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm