Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Cristiano
underPressure
Leslie
7 posters

The Beaver

Mario
    Mario

Humor : You know when your sitting in a chair and you lean back so you're on just 2 legs and you almost fall over and at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time.

The Beaver - Page 5 Empty Re: The Beaver

Post  Mario Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 pm

>>My guess is that Jodie Foster was so afraid of trivializing Walter's mental illness that she forgot she was an artist and not a social worker.<<

http://m.npr.org/story/135988537?url=/2011/05/06/135988537/the-beaver-redemption-for-mel-gibson&ft=1&f=1008

>>Q: So you will be heading to Cannes with The Beaver. Is Mel going?
    A: I think Mel’s going. The French love him. It’s like “Did he have a scandal?” They don’t know.<<

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/cannes-film-festival/8497228/Cannes-Film-Festival-2011-How-Hollywood-invaded.html

>>Cannes’s love affair with the Yanks continues this year. Woody Allen directed this year’s opener, Midnight in Paris, and this year’s jury chairman is Robert De Niro, who first visited Cannes in 1976, to promote Taxi Driver.

With him then was his 13-year-old co-star, Jodie Foster. Now she’s back in town with The Beaver. Cannes and Hollywood: it’s a long-term romance.<<

Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Sat May 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Well, throughout history there have been exceptional artists who's works were under appreciated. *sigh* Human beings can be so slow and thick.

At least the French seem smarter about it.
    Mario
    Mario

Humor : You know when your sitting in a chair and you lean back so you're on just 2 legs and you almost fall over and at the last second you catch yourself? I feel like that all the time.

The Beaver - Page 5 Empty Friday Box Office: “The Beaver” Bombs In Limited Release

Post  Mario Mon May 09, 2011 2:29 pm

>>Jodie Foster’s long-awaited third directorial effort, “The Beaver,” opened in 22 theaters across North America Friday night to dismal box office returns. Starring PR nightmare Mel Gibson as a clinically depressed toy company CEO who finds solace through a beaver hand puppet, the film grossed an estimated $30,000 on its first night of release, averaging just $1,364. That should amount to roughly $100,000-$125,000 over the weekend for distributor Summit Entertainment, with an average of $4,500-$5,500.

To put that into perspective, last month “Atlas Shrugged, Part 1” averaged $5,608 from a significantly wider 299 theaters, while Robert Redford’s “The Conspirator” averaged $5,500 from an even wider 707 screens. It’s also set to be the worst debut (by far) for a Foster-directed film. In 1991, “Little Man Tate” grossed $230,106 from just 7 theaters in its opening weekend (averaging $32,872), while box office disappointment “Home For The Holidays” grossed $4,007,717 from 1,000 theaters in 1996 (its average of $4,007 rivals “The Beaver” despite it opening on 50 times the screens).

With a budget of $21 million, “The Beaver” was not a costly endeavour and will break even with foreign sales. However, these numbers are not promising and suggest North American audiences are not up for seeing Gibson back on the big screen.<<

good comment...

>>The reviews of “The Beaver” are not generally positive, Summit should knew it and open the film in few hundreds theaters (instead of only 22 theaters), because platform release wouldn’t work for a mixed reviewed niche film.

Summit almost exclusively hung the marketing on Mel Gibson, and it may be a mistake. Why Summit didn’t do better job to use the star powers Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence to sell this film? A Mel Gibson-starrer may not be attractive enough, but more people may want to see Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster and Jennifer Lawrence starring in a film together.<<

the other comments are partly not so nice...

>>Gibson, after his attacks on women, gays, Jews, blacks, and who know what other groups, is trash. And Foster is a hypocrite. Right now we should not divorce their behavior from their “art.” <<

source http://www.indiewire.com/article/friday_box_office_the_beaver_bombs_in_limited_release

I'm happy to see JL again on screen after Winter's Bone. She has talent and I like her face.
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Mon May 09, 2011 3:59 pm

sed *sigh* It does dampen my mood somewhat. I saw the Beaver last night, and I loved it.
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Mon May 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Don't be sad. We've waited years to see her blue eyes on the big screen again. And we always want to know about how is Jodie Foster really like. And is there anything that tells more about her than her films? Like any artist, it's her work of art where she speaks to us in the most visible, most obvious way, sometimes a little coded maybe but it's impossible she would pretend to be someone else in her own films. Forget MG, forget plot weaknesses, forget the critics. You have seen it. She was talking to you. Nothing else matters.

Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Mon May 09, 2011 8:39 pm

hugs hugs
    silverline
    silverline

Humor : 8

Post  silverline Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Mario wrote:Don't be sad. We've waited years to see her blue eyes on the big screen again. And we always want to know about how is Jodie Foster really like. And is there anything that tells more about her than her films? Like any artist, it's her work of art where she speaks to us in the most visible, most obvious way, sometimes a little coded maybe but it's impossible she would pretend to be someone else in her own films. Forget MG, forget plot weaknesses, forget the critics. You have seen it. She was talking to you. Nothing else matters.

Very well said especially the last sentence:" She was talking to you . Nothing else matters". That is what im trying to say to some people. You tell this to those idiots. I have read pretty nasty things about jodie today so nasty that i dont want to post them anywhere. Like they are blaming her for the box office flop, her bad career choice and her wanting to be better than she is as a director! Yesterday those articles about the poor turn out and low figures came out and today more of the same plus some nice blaming words against both jodie and mel....some people call it a stupid movie and they haven't even seen it yet!!!!! oh im angry today for sure! :xxs:
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Tue May 10, 2011 10:22 am

Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Tue May 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Wow, Mario!!

It's not fair. *sigh* They aren't even giving it a chance. Sad They ought to blame me.
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 pm

silverline wrote:
    Mario wrote:Don't be sad. We've waited years to see her blue eyes on the big screen again. And we always want to know about how is Jodie Foster really like. And is there anything that tells more about her than her films? Like any artist, it's her work of art where she speaks to us in the most visible, most obvious way, sometimes a little coded maybe but it's impossible she would pretend to be someone else in her own films. Forget MG, forget plot weaknesses, forget the critics. You have seen it. She was talking to you. Nothing else matters.

Very well said especially the last sentence:" She was talking to you . Nothing else matters". That is what im trying to say to some people. You tell this to those idiots. I have read pretty nasty things about jodie today so nasty that i dont want to post them anywhere. Like they are blaming her for the box office flop, her bad career choice and her wanting to be better than she is as a director! Yesterday those articles about the poor turn out and low figures came out and today more of the same plus some nice blaming words against both jodie and mel....some people call it a stupid movie and they haven't even seen it yet!!!!! oh im angry today for sure! :xxs:

Hope you relaxed meanwhile... Smile Ok, maybe they are just fans who are disappointed or helpless and it's their way to express non-understanding JF. As for me, there always was a little mismatch between what she says or writes and the final result on the screen. I have a theory why that is but I wouldn't post it here.

Mario
    Mario

The Beaver - Page 5 Empty I was a very lonely child - new interview

Post  Mario Wed May 11, 2011 2:25 pm

...with a German newspaper - roughly translated by me & google

I worry my whole lifetime

Mrs. Foster, for the leading role in your movie, "The Beaver" you've hired your colleague Mel Gibson. After his aggressive outbursts, nobody would have bet that he would get another chance in Hollywood. So all the bad publicity left you cold?

All I can say is: 17 years ago, when I was filming "Maverick" with him, it was the best working relationship of my entire career. Womething I've never experienced with any other colleague. Therefore, we also tried years to find a common project, and only then it worked.

Do you think the public distinguishes between the private choleric man Gibson and the actor on the screen?

I do not know. I am not in a position to judge such a thing. I think the film should speak for itself and that Mel shows a wonderful performance. I know it sounds crazy, but its emotional ballast was even helpful.

In what way?

The film shows a man who is struggling with his own demons, trying to change but find himself in a dead end road - that's a fatal situation. And who could be better to play this person?

At least it's not like raising anyones hope with this film. The message: therapy is futile, accept the tragedy of life.

Yes, this is one of the messages. There is no treatment against the seriousness of life, against its injustices. Terrible things happen even now. People will suffer and die. Not everything will be okay. But there is one consolation: You're not alone with it. For all others it's the same thing. This is the bright light with which you can get through it all.

The depressive main character in your new film "The Beaver" finds solace in his relationship with an imaginary friend. Normally, children clinging to such fantasy figures. Did you have such a friend as a child?

No, I did not have imaginary friends. Never. Although I was a very lonely child. I spent a lot of time to talk to myself and cope with the fact that no one understood me.

Why did you feel so lonely?

The loneliness was already in me before I was born. In part, this was probably because I was the youngest child in the family and thus had a special position. And I was like a wunderkind.

What do you mean?

I was not particularly great in math, but one thing I mastered very well, I was able to understand the feelings of adults. At a depth at which a child should not be capable.

Blessing or curse?

Both. For I have felt responsible for any problems that my mother went through. My creativity was my only valve. And I enjoyed it very well to lead this creative insular existence that no one understood. In a certain way it still is. If I'm lying in a pool of artificial blood at three o'clock in the morning, then no one can understand what I feel. And the only way to share that with other people, is to communicate my feelings through my acting. Bringing something to the screen is the only treatment for such loneliness.

You're not so often in front of a camera. You once said: "I am better in being a mother than being an actress."

The times when I rushed from one film to another, sure are over - if only for the sake of my two children. They're much more important for me. Usually I'm just acting when I get the feeling that I can learn something from the director for my own work as a director - as recently with Roman Polanski. But to come back to this quote: To be a mother, is more creative than anything else. It's stressing your entire personality. To your children's sake you're thinking about everything you say and do, all day long. The acting, however, is not a natural part of my person. As a child I never dreamed of it as a job. If I don't work, then I don't fool or wear flashy clothes. I am very stoic and controlled head, my feelings never show to the outside.

Then you actually had to resist when your mother let you play in commercials at the age of three

I probably would have. But I was not very rebellious as a child.

Once at a shooting you even got chilblains, because you had no thick socks. However, you didn't rebel.

Like I said, I was a stoic, then more than now. I didn't know I could say "no". I thought I have to follow the instructions of the director. And if I didn't do that, then I would be a loser and no one would tell me. Moreover, this was my job. But just because I was a reserved, introverted child, so the acting was good for me. So I was able to express myself. Without this job I certainly would have been crazy.

It sounds as if you were at least somewhat crazy.

I am a relatively balanced and appropriate person. But there are some side effects that are not quite so normal. I share my life in small areas, and I freak out when these areas overlap. That means, for example, that I now that I give interviews, can not comfortably go for dinner. Because one is work and the other is private pleasure. It does not match.

But you never really freaked out in your life.

No, because I've always taken responsibility. Even in my time in college, where I could have ran riot, I made five films. I supported my family, I paid taxes, had obligations. There was never a carefree phase in my life.

What is it you worry about all the time?

I do a lot of worry - especially about my sons. But I'm not really a nervous person. I like to fly or trying new dishes. Okay, I'm not thrilled by snakes. And I hate shopping. This began in my childhood when my mother dragged me into some shops. I grabbed a book and then always sat down to read. Now I have someone do it for me. Except children's clothing, that is no problem. And I also like record and book stores.

Have you ever thought about the direction of your career if you've been never in front of a camera?

Maybe I would have become a professor or a lawyer - or writer, because I love working with words. But I am very happy that I can be part of the film world - I just love it with all my heart. And especially I like the mystery of acting.

Can you solve the mystery for us?

You are about the choreographer and dancer at the same time. First of all you have to plan the whole architecture of a scene: What you say and how you move, and why you do it. Then someone says "Action", and you have to do it, but the realization of this plan is a totally different experience. On the one hand, you live within and spontaneously in this moment, as if you were that person, on the other hand, you hit the right mark, and you know the whole drama and movement for you and your partner. Since running so many conscious and unconscious processes simultaneously. That is why I admire actors, because I do not know how they manage that.

Doesn't analyzing these processes during work all the time detain you from your instictive acting?

I know I can be too intellectual. Sometimes I have to consciously overcome in order to concentrate on the pure representation. Strictly speaking, this is a challenge for each film. On the other hand - what does "instinctive play" mean? Does that mean you sleep before your performance, then someone wakes you up, and you do what just comes to your mind? Making films is not like that. You have to approach from two sides on the matter, rational and irrational. Those who rely solely on their instincts struggle.

Is such an attitude the reason that you are almost 30 [sic!] years after "Taxi Driver" still one of Hollywood's top stars?

The reason is that I always thought long term. Therefore, I deliberately went for and against certain films. The may not have been so spectacular, I have earned less and shot less than some colleagues, but I just wanted to make films that endure.

What offers have you turned down?

Put it this way: I can not play a weak women. Therefore, you have never considered myself as the beautiful starlet-girlfriend of Tom Cruise.

Such roles have been offered to you?

Occasionally, but not too often. I wasn't considered the type of long-legged beauty queen. And that was a real blessing.

Is your own directorial work also a way to secure this long career?

It's definitely something I prefer to acting now. I have to ask me constantly "Do I find my feelings or not?" I can express myself personally much stronger and fuller. I have already more the personality of a director than an actor. I have already noticed that at the age of six.

How?

I appeared in a television series, and one of the leading actors on the day directing. I did not know then that actor should such a thing. And I thought: "I want to do it." From then on, I watched to see how scenes are cut, which lenses you take on certain shots and so on. Many actors do not know this, because for them it takes the all the secrecy. They want to feel more like on stage to relive those moments quite pure and natural. But the more I am technically versed, the happier I am

Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Wed May 11, 2011 4:32 pm

hugs Thanks, Mario.
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 pm

Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Wed May 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Very Happy yahoo They look perfect!
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 pm

The Beaver - Page 5 104316b-2011-05-17t105712z_01_can200p

The tooth, it is back or...not? Man, where's a fluffy dentist when you need one. Wink
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Wed May 18, 2011 11:38 pm

Two times Jodie and Rob Lowe.

The Beaver - Page 5 14efdff8a1a7e1a0_large

27 years later...

The Beaver - Page 5 Hollywood-reporter-honors-jodie-foster-20110518-125116-170
    >>CANNES, FRANCE - MAY 18: Actor Rob Lowe and director Jodie Foster attends a Hollywood Reporter party honoring Jodie Foster presented by vitaminwater during the 64th Annual Cannes Film Festival at Majestic Beach Pier on May 18, 2011 in Cannes, France.<<

!
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Thu May 19, 2011 2:29 am

She is so damn gorgeous! Smile
    silverline
    silverline

Post  silverline Thu May 19, 2011 9:14 pm

Mario wrote:The Beaver - Page 5 104316b-2011-05-17t105712z_01_can200p

The tooth, it is back or...not? Man, where's a fluffy dentist when you need one. Wink

Yes yes the tooth was definitely back in this pic of 17/5. How could have one tooth been missing for such a major wonderful premiere event? Even if itwas missing , that would not have taken away a single bit of her charms or attracted the attention of the audience. Only if it had been a front tooth.

But on the following day, it was missing again as you can see from this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPL9OliW1c

This one is my favourite....Listen to Rob Low's words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3zNvXwsHU

And this one is so good. Jodie speaking my beautiful language...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHQEHccuqDo

How smart ....she is being interviewed in italian but cos she speaks it slow she answers in english.
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Fri May 20, 2011 3:34 am

She's so incredibly hot, while looking so incredibly cool. *sigh* And making me too damn horny.
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Sun May 22, 2011 1:53 am

Did you notice three scenes from the trailer were missing in the film? Also the whole title design was different to the trailer. In the roller coaster, Director of Photography Hagen Bogdanski sits behind Mel Gibson.

Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Sun May 22, 2011 4:14 pm

So you've seen the movie, Mario! Very Happy
    Mario
    Mario

Post  Mario Sun May 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Yes, last night.
    silverline
    silverline

Post  silverline Sun May 22, 2011 10:39 pm

your emotional thoughts about it??
    I have to wait before i get to see this film, wait wait and wait till the summer... No
    Artful_Dodger
    Artful_Dodger

Post  Artful_Dodger Sun May 22, 2011 11:03 pm

I wish I could send you a ticket, or drive you to a theater, silverline. Sad *sigh*
    silverline
    silverline

Post  silverline Sun May 22, 2011 11:36 pm

tears thank you artful dodger. I think it is available online but im good i don't do those things. Its either at the movies or on official dvd!! sm75

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am